The Holy Temple of Aghia Magdalene
of Aghia Magdalene was built in
1901-1903 by the High Commissioner of Crete, Prince George, and was dedicated to Mary Magdalene
in commemoration of a visit of his sister Maria to Chania, the wife of the
Grand Duke of Russia. This is a church with a wide-angled nave ending in a
Russian style dome.
It is surrounded by a perimetric arcade. The inauguration took place on 6th January 1903 in the presence of Queen Olga of Greece and Prince George.
On his departure in 1909, the prince assigned the church to the Municipality and the parish of Halepa, as an act of devotion to the community of Halepa and in memory of the pleasant years of his stay.